Sunday, April 01, 2007

rivers and tides



when i was a little kid, the way i would play would be to go through my toys and books, putting them into some kind of symmetry / balance.

these past few weeks have so full. joyful - i met aida last night, a beautiful 5 day old girl, and witnessed a glorious milestone in the lives of two of my best friends this morning. sorrowful - i said goodbye to my grandma.

i feel like i need a good long day at the beach playing in the stones. spending time in the quiet to replenish.

but not yet, maybe in another week and a half or so. i need to dig back into my term paper for art history and when i have that wrapped i should start thinking about what kind of yardage i'd like to create for surface design, and then what to choose for my final weaving project, and then actually get going on it. i'm not complaining. these things all bring me delight, but yes...still lots more to see to, before the beach.

a few years ago my friend elise called from chicago to tell me about a beautiful film they'd just watched with her dad. it was called rivers and tides, and told the story of andy goldsworthy a cool guy from Yorkshire (the same place my mom's dad was born) he creates time sensitive peices outside from the things children play with: leaves and stones, ice and twigs. Matthew sent me a card of his leaves a year or so ago and just two weeks ago i finally got to see the film. it's good. it speaks volumes so quietly.

this picture above is his too.

No comments: