Friday, April 20, 2007

mille de (photos) from school

For our final design project, our instructor Eleanor Hannan guided us through a way of evaluating our method of design and examining our process. Some of the themes were: the quest to find the materials, to create the garment in silence and to come to terms with things that must remain "unfinished".
This is the first work I've done on a floor loom. My piece is called "Ocean Girl". It was inspired by the eight or so years living very much ON the ocean. From the age of 18-26 my work took me to various coastlines of the world. While my mailing address changed every month or so to whichever post office we were docked closest to, the one constant was the sea beneath me. The colours are all tones found in and around the sea...kelp green, med and carib blues. The turquoise was hand dyed, all the rest were remnants from my knitting basket at home. A classmate suggested that I construct sleeves, and make it into a wrap. It seems right. Since childhood I have had a special kinship with water in general and 'the sea'.
Messy, fast portraits from design.


The reverse applique.



A rainy day at Capilano, taken I think one of the days we were scouting locations for our Christo project.

The plan for my poppy duvet, with my before sleep prayer.





3 comments:

Amy said...

very cool duvet! I want another photo when it is all done please!

kimberley francis said...

thanks ame. i went to pick everything up yesterday. it's nice to have all my projects back in my 'custody'. My friend Kerry and I were talking about how strange it is to see (especially the more emotional pieces) folded neatly on a long table with the "score card" of sort inside.

When my bedroom is photo-worthy i'll take a picture of it in it's natural setting.

Kassianni said...

oh my word kimberley, you are one talented girl!
these pieces are INCREDIBLE!!!
I lovelovelove the seagirl wrap. so so lovely. the blues really just carry you away.
keep up the good work.