Wednesday, December 14, 2005

where I'm spending 'these days'

My marina, from the seawall. With a team of 8 guys, we look after 350 boats or so. Keep our eyes out for thuggy thugs and try to notice when boats are listing a little, or taking on water. We keep the place afloat, literally (the place is 100 years old)...repairing floats and sheds as needed. We also look after the members somewhat...lending an arm, and a ear for their many lively life stories.
This is my present office, from where I monitor the VHF Radio and direct boats when they call to request staying a night with us. Also I look after the "Lifter Bookings". All boats need routine annual maintenance (scrubbing all the barnacles and mussel growth off the hulls, and changing the zincs. Electrical currents in the water erode whatever metal is the softest, and so replacing zincs ensures that the electricity "attacks" the zinc (about the size of a license plate) rather that the metal keeping the ocean "out" and the sailors "in" and dry. I'm also learning about the various makes and years of hulls, so that when the boats are lifted, they are supported properly.
For example, if a member has a C&C 36' it's important for me to know if it has a "swept back fin keel" (like a pectoral fin on a shark) or a "straight keel."

This is a shot of the Rowing Club, (our neighbours to the west) who we are often confused with. The marinas flow together and so the boats on the far right are ours. The Stanley Park Seawall and Coal Harbour connect us.
This is a shot of the seawall at the end of a glorious day. If I have a little energy left in me, I sometimes meet a friend to walk or bike the perimeter. It's one of the best parts of Vancouver. I've been at the marina for nearly three years now. Intially, it was a break from hotel concierge and yacht crewing assignments. The time has passed so quickly and I enjoy the environment so much, and of course the people I work with. There may be some changes coming, so I'm enjoying it all the more while it lasts.

2 comments:

Matthew Francis said...

It's kind of fun, because we used to walk by here as kids when we came to the city on family picnics, etc (around the Park by the Tea Room overlooking Spanish Banks). For those not familiar with Vancouver, there is a big area of lawn just north of the Marina where in the summer 100's of artists set up and paint. The scene is quite surreal (while the paintings themselves are not... usual quite conservative seascapes and portraits).

Great pictures, Kim! And a lovely showing and telling of your 9-5.

kimberley francis said...

Thanks Matt. :)
Yeah so many good memories of the park as kids. Stacy was asking what I do and so I thought I'd compose this little 'brief'. As I'm never sure how long I'll be, it's nice to chronicle it this way for later. I'm totally diggin' this media now. Remember I was so not sure about it. It's taken some fear away about simply my story, past and present, just the facts even. So many of my assignments have been a little surreal and I always felt braggy about telling about them. Now i see there is value in all posts, and also in seasons of unemployment, self-employment...whatever comes...

"...keep interested in your own career, however humble. It is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time..."