Friday, December 09, 2005

a little Sarah Harmer on a cold day...

I love "trouble in the fields".
it sounds like a good marriage to me.

Baby, I know that we got trouble in the fields
And the bankers swarm like locusts out there, turning away our yields
And the trains roll by our silo, silver in the rain
Leave our pockets full of nothing but these dreams of the golden grain
I can see the folks lined up downtown at the station
They're all buying their tickets out and they're talking a Great Depression
Our parents had their hard times fifty years ago
When they stood out in these empty fields, in dust as deep as snow
And all this trouble in our fields
If this rain can fall these wounds can heal
They'll never take our native soil
And if we sell that new John Deere then we'll work these crops with sweat and tears
You'll be the mule, I'll be the plow
Come harvest time, we'll work it out
There's still a lot of love here in these troubled fields
There's a book up on the shelf about the dust bowl days
There's a little bit of you and a little bit of me in the photos on every page
Our children live in the city and they rest upon our shoulders
They don't want the rain to fall or the weather to get colder
And all this trouble in our fields
If this rain can fall these wounds can heal...

12 comments:

Matthew Francis said...

I love this song, Kim. I think Gillian Welch wrote it originally, but Sarah Harmer does it so well. I love that "come harvest time we'll work it out..."

I also love the "fifteen dollars hid above the stove."

Beautiful.

Matthew Francis said...

The whole chorus, actually, gets to me, but I really love, "If this rain can fall these wounds can heal.."

Matthew Francis said...

Oh wait, that "fifteen dollars hit above the stove" is a different song. A Ryan Adams song off "Heartbreaker" that somehow I'd rolled into this one.

kimberley francis said...

it would fit in well.

hey, i just invited martin to keri's new years eve party. it was all golden afternoon light on the water... yeah... i just asked.

RW said...

Hannah and I LOVE Sarah Harmer.... she is absolutely marvellous.

RW said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gabe said...

Hey, I just listened to her in the store and i was like hmm she is good. And now everyone tells me they love her. Coincidence? I think not. I must buy a cd.

Stacy said...

I'd never met anyone who had ever heard of Sarah Harmer until I started conversing with all of you. Yea for kindreds! Apparently someone is misplaced? Are you sure you aren't suppose to be living in Memphis?

kimberley francis said...

come on up Stacy. Ramona's expecting you anyday now. :)

RW said...

Being of a practical mind it would be far easier for Stacy to come to the lower mainland than for the Wildemans to travel to Memphis....

Stacy said...

Any day now?? Yeah right! It's cold up there! I don't even own a winter coat.

kimberley francis said...

Ramona's probably got an old fur hanging in the back of the front closet~! :) We'll dress you up like Lucy! C'mon!