Friday, October 28, 2005

i like ocelots.


when i was little i wanted to have an ocelot.
we had a big forest in our back yard.
we would build snowcave forts
around halloween
that would last until spring
there were other creatures back there
skunks, racoons and rabbits
i thought an ocelot would be nice
for us to have
my brother jeff would give us
snowmobile rides after school
he'd sometimes talk us little kids into
ideas including towropes and skis
as if we were on water
we were like his little eval kaneevals
we'd almost always agree
i remember one time
him telling me, during a winter stunt session
(i was about five)
"whatever you do, don't let go!"
so I didn't
no matter what
i fell down
pretty much right away
but bravely hung on tight
after a goodly amount of
pine cones
branches
and snow
passed under
over
and (what felt like) through me
he throttled down and came to a stop
i looked at him with wide eyes
hoping to meet with his approval
for "not letting go"
he looked at me compassionately
but couldn't help but laugh
(i probably had branches in my hair by that point)
we coiled up the tow rope
and he said, lets go in for supper
it was maybe a friday
because i seem to remember
welches grape juice in wine glasses
and yorkshire pudding
with onion
sprinkled on half

11 comments:

Mira-cle said...

Kimberley,
I love your poem! I still can't believe that I've left the rhealm of childhood...it astounds me when people treat me like an adult sometimes. But the adults always said that we should cherish our childhood because those moments will become our fondest memories one day. and poof, now here we are looking at the fond memories.

Where did you grow up?

kimberley francis said...

ah Mira! I posted your coffee house poster! I'm so excited for the brilliant evening I know it will be.

I grew up in Trenton, Ontario for the first ten years. That is the source of my most idyllic childhood memories.

Then we moved to Maple Ridge for a couple of years, before my parents settled in Chilliwack.

Has Victoria been your home in Canada, since coming from Romania?

Matthew Francis said...

Mmm. Yorkshire pudding. We've got a slowcooker supper going...

Mira-cle said...

Yep, I've lived in Victoria since we moved here. It was quite the selection process. My parents had travelled the world and decided on Canada, and then they travelled to every major city in Canada and chose Vancouver...and then we came to Victoria on a day trip for fun and never left. Sometimes you just know.

also the I figured out how to get rid of that silly white line on the poster and it is up on my blog.

God Bless!

Gabe said...

oh saskatchewan. lived here all my life, never left, now im about to. talk about loving my childhood. well im going to post something on my blog now that i have an inspiration to.

Mr. P said...

nice. Kim, I can SO hear you saying all that. if I can help it, I will come to the hood, and when gabe comes, he can too. I have to check with my sis, but vancouver is SO tempting.

thomasw said...

hehe, i liked the being dragged around part.

it would be hilarious if it happened in the present day:P

all those crispy maple leaves sticking in your hair! rofl:)

kimberley francis said...

yeah the thing is, jeff still tries to talk me into the eval kaneval stuff every now and then.

there's usually a pause... and then laughter. a few christmasses ago we all went snowmobiling again out at my aunt's farm. no injuries, but the game of it is to be as dangerous as possible without actually cracking any femurs or "tib-fibs" as my dad calls them.

jeff delights in giving a good icy facewashing. he's not as gentle as matt and i.

kimberley francis said...

thomas, what does rofl mean?
and vic's lol? does it mean "lots of Love"? cause sometime that would make sense and then sometime maybe not so much.

my niece is always sending my these abrieviations and i'm just not hip to all the speak yet.

yeah so rofl

Mr. P said...

ROFL means rolling on the floor laughing, and LOL means laughing out loud. it means you are funny.

hey kim, if you want an invite to spruce island, send me an email.

anyone else too, thomas...

kimberley francis said...

Ahhh..excellent. Well you guys should read Mira's today. Definately a ROFL.